April 20, 2017
Energy UK released switching numbers for the first 3 months of 2017. They show an increase of 13% in March 2017 compared to the same month in 2016 with a total of 536,658 UK households switching energy supplier. That brings the amount of energy switches to above 1.3 million in the first quarter of 2017.
Last month consumers switching from larger to small and mid-tier suppliers represented more than a quarter of all switches (27%) reaching just over 145,000.
Switch to Save before the Price Hike
There's been increased press coverage around price increases from five of the "Big Six" energy suppliers. British Gas have announced a price freeze until August this year.
• E.On is increasing electricity prices by an average of 13.8%, and gas prices by 3.8%, on 26th April.
• SSE raised gas prices 14.9% effective from April 28th.
• Npower raised its standard tariff electricity prices by 15% from 16th March and gas prices by 4.8%.
• Scottish Power's standard electricity prices increased by an average of 10.8% and gas by 4.7% on 31st March.
• EDF putting up prices for the second time this year. From June 21st customers will pay 9% more for electricity and gas prices will increase by 5%.
Lawrence Slade, chief executive of Energy UK said:
"1.3m consumers switching already this year is further demonstration of competition in action in the retail market. Competition is driving up standards, innovation and investment as suppliers compete to keep and attract new customers. There has never been a better time to check you are on the best deal for you - and the Energy Switch Guarantee gives consumers extra confidence the process will be simple, speedy and safe."
We would urge any customers to run a comparison and see what they could save today. Energylinx offer a free and impartial switching service. You can do it online or by calling one of our expert advisors on 01259 220000.
Posted on April 20, 2017 at 09:48 AM